General News
Tinubu not done much in poverty alleviation, say Obas in North
Theophilus Ani
The Association of Yoruba Obas and Leaders in the 19 Northern States/FCT has called on President Bola Tinubu to do more in the area of poverty alleviation.
Chairman of the association, Alhaji Murtala Sani Adeleke, who made the call while briefing journalists after it’s quarterly meeting in Abuja at the weekend, noted that economic reforms require endurance, but pleaded with the the government to do more to bring the dividends of democracy closer to people at the grassroots.
“We wish to encourage the government to do more, particularly in the area of poverty alleviation; we understand that economic reforms require endurance, but we plead that the government do more to bring the dividends of democracy closer to people at the grassroots”, he said.
Adeleke also observed that local government administrations in the country are yet to perform their statutory responsibilities even after
the approval of their financial autonomy.
He, however, declared the association’s support for the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, citing what it described as improvements in security, education, fuel supply and the economy in the last three years.
The Obas said that it had reviewed the state of affairs in the country and resolved to support Tinubu administration based on its achievements in key sectors affecting Nigerians.
Oba Adeleke said that security remains one of the major concerns of Nigerians, particularly in the North, arguing that there had been noticeable improvements under the present administration.
He cited recent rescue operations involving victims of bandit attacks in Kwara, Niger and Borno states as evidence of increased efforts by security agencies and commended the Federal Government for improving the welfare of security personnel and establishing additional military formations across the country.
“We want to appreciate the President for his leadership role in making this thing happen quietly. We want to tell you that we, the Yorubas in the North, are fully in support of the President on this issue of security,” he said.
On education, the Yoruba leaders commended the administration for its student financing initiatives, saying they had enabled some students who previously could not afford university education to gain access to higher education.
He also praised the government for its handling of industrial relations in the university system, claiming that the administration had succeeded in preventing prolonged strikes by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).
The chairman said the association had also considered developments in the economy before deciding to support the administration.
He claimed that the country’s capital market had grown significantly from about N33 trillion in 2023 to between N160 trillion and N170 trillion currently.
He further said the removal of fuel scarcity and improved availability of petrol in northern states had brought relief to residents who previously depended on the black market and paid exorbitant prices for the product.
“Before the coming of this government, we didn’t have fuel in petrol stations. We bought fuel at black market and at exorbitant rates. In some states, you buy up to N2,500 per litre, and you won’t even get it at the petrol station.
“But since the coming of this government, we in the North have been enjoying steady fuel supply in all our fuel stations. You just drive in, buy and go,” he said.
General News
INEC announces Adeleke as winner of Osun governorship election

By Akin Osinwo
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has declared Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, the winner of Saturday’s governorship election, after he secured the highest number of votes across the state.
The State Returning Officer for the election and Vice-Chancellor of the Federal University, Oye Ekiti, Prof. Joshua Ogunwole, announced the final results at about 7:24am on Sunday.
Adeleke, who contested the election on the platform of the Accord, polled 511,067 votes to defeat the candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Bola Oyebamiji, who garnered 444,815 votes.
With the victory, the incumbent governor has secured another term in office.
Adeleke won in 19 of the state’s 30 local government areas, while Oyebamiji prevailed in 11 LGAs.
The governor recorded victories in Ede North, Ede South, Ejigbo, Iwo, Egbedore, Ife North, Ife East, Ife Central, Oriade, Ifelodun, Orolu, Ayedaade, Ayedire, Odo Otin, Boluwaduro, Ilesa West, Ifedayo, Osogbo and one other local government area.
Oyebamiji, on the other hand, secured victory in Irewole, Isokan, Olorunda, Atakumosa East, Atakumosa West, Ilesa East, Boripe, Irepodun and Obokun, among others.
Giving the final figures, Ogunwole said, “Accredited voters, 1010684, total votes received by political parties, A, 511067, AA, 2308, AAC, 1458, ADC, 17180, ADP, 2946, APC, 444815, APGA, 1475, APM, 234, APP, 114, BP, 111, NNPP, 118, PRP, 83, SDP, 155, YPP, 534, ZLP, 2482, total valid votes, 985079, rejected votes, 207, total vote cast, 1,005,800.”
Following the endorsement of the results by agents representing the participating political parties, the Returning Officer formally declared Adeleke the winner.
“That Ademola Nurudeen-Jackson Adeleke having satisfied the requirements of the law is hereby declare the winner of the August 15 Governorship election and returned elected,” Ogunwole said.
The African Democratic Congress candidate, Najeem Salaam, finished third in the election.
The result brings to a close the keenly contested governorship poll, with Adeleke retaining the governorship after defeating the APC challenger across a majority of the state’s local government areas.
General News
Lakurawa terrorist group kills 4 soldiers in deadly Sokoto attack

By Mohammadu Ahmad
At least four soldiers are feared dead following an attack by suspected Lakurawa terrorists in Kebbe, Kebbe Local Government Area of Sokoto State, on Friday.
The attackers, reportedly numbering more than 300, stormed the town on motorcycles and engaged troops in a fierce gun battle before allegedly attacking shops, vehicles and a hospital.
The heavily armed group was said to have arrived in Kebbe at about 10am, prompting soldiers deployed at a military base on the outskirts of the town to engage them.
A security expert in the state, Bashar Altine, who confirmed the incident, said four soldiers were feared to have died during the confrontation.
However, the reported casualty figure could not be independently verified as of the time of filing this report.
The spokesman for the Sokoto State Police Command, Ahmed Rufai, also confirmed that an attack occurred but said the command was still working to establish the details.
Rufai said he could not confirm reports of casualties, including the alleged deaths of the four soldiers.
Attempts to obtain confirmation from the spokesman of the 8 Division, Nigerian Army, Lt. Col. Olaniyi Osoba, were unsuccessful, as he had yet to respond to a message sent to him as of press time.
Altine said the attackers moved into the heart of Kebbe after the confrontation with the troops, particularly the Sabon Gari area, where they allegedly broke into shops and stole large quantities of mobile phones and bread.
He said the militants also attacked a military vehicle equipped with a mounted rocket-propelled grenade, damaging three tyres and breaking its windscreen.
The attackers reportedly proceeded to the General Hospital, Kebbe, where they allegedly smashed the windows of vehicles parked within the hospital premises, including the vehicle of the Divisional Police Officer and an ambulance.
“They also seized mobile phones belonging to patients at the hospital,” Altine added.
He further alleged that the terrorists took four motorcycles belonging to residents before beginning their withdrawal from the town.
According to Altine, the attackers eventually left Kebbe in the evening through the direction of the police station and proceeded towards communities west of the town.
“Reports from villages west of Kebbe indicate that they entered Ungushi town, one of the districts in Kebbe Local Government Area,” he said.
Altine said there was no confirmation that any of the attackers had been killed despite the reported gun battle with security forces.
“As of the time of writing this report, we have not seen the body of even one Lakurawa fighter that the soldiers succeeded in killing,” he said.
(PUNCH)
General News
Anambra billionaire businessman Joseph Ezeokafor (Jezco) regains freedom from kidnappers’ den

Joseph Ezeokafor
By Ogechi Eloka
Kidnapped Anambra businessman, Joseph Ezeokafor chairman of Jezco Group of Companies, popularly known as Jezco, has regained his freedom.
According to a social media Facebook post by Fred Chukwuelobe, versatile journalist and public affairs commentator, Ezeokafor was released near the boundary between Enugu and Anambra States, close to Ebenebe, near Awka. He was subsequently picked up late at night (Friday) by a family member.
Ezeokafor, the father of popular social media personality Jowi Zaza, was abducted in the early hours of Tuesday while on his way to a prayer ground in Awka, Anambra State.
His release came after days in captivity, during which his abductors reportedly established contact with his family and initially demanded a ransom of N700 million before allegedly raising the demand to N1.5 billion.
Details surrounding his release, including whether any ransom was paid and where he was released, were not immediately available as of the time of filing this report.
The development is, however, a major relief to the family, friends and associates of the businessman, whose abduction had generated widespread concern across Anambra and beyond.
Ezeokafor is the founder of Jezco Oil and Lubricants, a business he established in 1980 and subsequently expanded into other areas of manufacturing and business.
-
Politics3 days ago2027: Advertising experts raise concerns over irregular regulation of sector
-
Uncategorized1 month ago
INEC flags off Mega Continuous Voter Registration Centre, enrols 31,835 new voters
-
Uncategorized1 month ago
PCC Anambra Commissioner pays courtesy visit to FRSC sector commander
-
General News2 weeks ago
2027: Dame Princess Esom-Nwafor Orizu confirmed as APC flagbearer for Nnewi North /South /Ekwusigo Federal Constituency as INEC releases names of candidates
-
Uncategorized1 month ago
Rescue of Oyo schoolchilden: Tinubu commends security agencies, says action breakthrough in fight against criminality
-
Uncategorized1 month ago
My service to my country gave me a profound sense of who I am – Former PSC Boss, Chief Simon Okeke
-
Uncategorized1 month ago
Ignore unverified HIV figures on social media, verify through official channels, says ANSACA boss
-
Uncategorized2 months ago
Hello world!
