Sports
Rangers legend, Dominic Nwobodo is dead
The Rangers International Football club family has been hit by yet another death, barely one year after the passing of it’s celebrated Captain, Christian Chukwu
This time, a pioneer player and captain of the Enugu based legendary club, Dominic Nwobodo has been reported dead
Popularly known as “Alhaji Nwobodo,” Dominic Nwobodo reportedly died on Friday, August 14. 2026
His death was announced by the Ex-Rangers International Footballers Cooperative, of which he was a founding member.
The cooperative described Nwobodo as a remarkable footballer, national player and coach who made significant contributions to the growth and development of Rangers.
“He was not only a dreaded attacker but also a remarkable national player in the 70s, who served the game with dedication, both as a player and as a coach,” the cooperative said in a statement signed by its secretary.
The group said his death had left a huge void in the Rangers family, describing him as a respected figure whose contributions helped shape the history of the club.
Nwobodo, a veteran Biafran soldier was the pioneer captain of Rangers International and among the early players who helped establish Rangers shortly after the Nigerian Civil War in 1970.
A civil war veteran, he was part of the group of former soldiers and war veterans who formed the backbone of the club and helped turn Rangers into a symbol of post-war recovery, unity and resilience in the South-East.
This is probably going to be my last year of football, Ronaldo hints of retirement
Portugal captain, Cristiano Ronaldo has hinted that he could retire from professional football after the 2026-27 season, saying he wants to leave a “spectacular legacy.”
The 41-year-old Portugal captain made the revelation in an interview with Vogue published on Sunday, as he discussed his future following his wedding to partner Georgina Rodríguez.
“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” Ronaldo said.
He had earlier announced his retirement from international football, after leading Portugal at the last 2026 FIFA World cup that was jointly hosted by the United States of America (USA), Canada and Mexico
The Al-Nassr forward, who began the new season on August 15, said he is already looking ahead to more time with his family.
“I have my future all mapped out,” he said. “I have so many things to keep me busy that to tell you just one thing is hard.
“Because football could leave a big hole, you have to fill your time in various ways, not just one. And also have more fun, travel more, watch and play padel, which I really like, and continue to enjoy what I’ve earned—what we’ve earned.
“Because after all it’s been 25 years with a lot of sacrifice.”
The comments mark one of the clearest indications yet from the Portuguese star about the approaching end of a career that has included major titles with Manchester United, Real Madrid, Juventus and Portugal.
Sports
Ronaldo joined Al-Nassr in 2023 after leaving Manchester United.
He has continued to play at the highest level and featured for Portugal at the 2026 FIFA World Cup held in the United States, Canada and Mexico.
The five-time Ballon d’Or winner has scored more than 900 senior career goals for club and country.
He and Rodríguez married in an intimate ceremony at their home in Cascais, Portugal, on August 11, the 10th anniversary of the day they first met.
In the Vogue interview, the couple said they were looking forward to spending more time together and with their children.
Ronaldo said he had already planned his life after football, suggesting that retirement would mark the beginning of a new phase rather than an end to his activities.
Sports
Coventry City agree £17m deal for Awoniyi
England Premier League new entrants, Coventry City have agreed a deal worth about £17m to sign Nigeria international striker Taiwo Awoniyi from Nottingham Forest
The promoted Sky Blues are expected to complete the transfer before their Premier League season opener against Arsenal on Friday, with the match scheduled for 8pm BST.
Awoniyi was given a guard of honour by Forest players and staff before the second half of their final pre-season friendly against Brest on Sunday, allowing the striker to bid farewell to the club and its supporters.
Forest manager Oliver Glasner praised the 29-year-old for his commitment and character, saying: “He was probably one of the loveliest guys I’ve met, always friendly, always smiling.”
“Everybody in the club likes him and I could see everybody in the stand likes him because this is what everybody appreciates,” Glasner added.
“He always gives 100% for the team, he always gives 100% for the bench, and that’s why he deserves such a farewell, such a guard of honour. That’s why we decided we would give it to him and I wish him all the best at his next club, just not when they play us.”
Awoniyi became Nottingham Forest’s record signing when he joined from Union Berlin in 2022 for £17.2m. He scored 23 goals in 103 appearances for the club but fell behind Chris Wood and Igor Jesus in the pecking order.
The Nigeria international started only three matches last season, scoring four goals in 17 appearances across all competitions. He was also left out of Forest’s Europa League squad.
Awoniyi endured a serious setback in May 2025 when he was placed in an induced coma after rupturing an intestine in a collision with a post during Forest’s match against Leicester.
Coventry are preparing for their first Premier League campaign in 25 years and have strengthened their squad with the return of midfielder Gus Hamer from Sheffield United and goalkeeper Carl Rushworth from Brighton.
Winger Loum Tchaouna, defender Aurele Amenda and Ghana international Caleb Yirenkyi have also joined the promoted side as manager Frank Lampard prepares for the new season.
Sports
Coventry City agree £17m deal for Awoniyi
England Premier League new entrants, Coventry City have agreed a deal worth about £17m to sign Nigeria international striker Taiwo Awoniyi from Nottingham Forest
The promoted Sky Blues are expected to complete the transfer before their Premier League season opener against Arsenal on Friday, with the match scheduled for 8pm BST.
Awoniyi was given a guard of honour by Forest players and staff before the second half of their final pre-season friendly against Brest on Sunday, allowing the striker to bid farewell to the club and its supporters.
Forest manager Oliver Glasner praised the 29-year-old for his commitment and character, saying: “He was probably one of the loveliest guys I’ve met, always friendly, always smiling.”
“Everybody in the club likes him and I could see everybody in the stand likes him because this is what everybody appreciates,” Glasner added.
“He always gives 100% for the team, he always gives 100% for the bench, and that’s why he deserves such a farewell, such a guard of honour. That’s why we decided we would give it to him and I wish him all the best at his next club, just not when they play us.”
Awoniyi became Nottingham Forest’s record signing when he joined from Union Berlin in 2022 for £17.2m. He scored 23 goals in 103 appearances for the club but fell behind Chris Wood and Igor Jesus in the pecking order.
The Nigeria international started only three matches last season, scoring four goals in 17 appearances across all competitions. He was also left out of Forest’s Europa League squad.
Awoniyi endured a serious setback in May 2025 when he was placed in an induced coma after rupturing an intestine in a collision with a post during Forest’s match against Leicester.
Coventry are preparing for their first Premier League campaign in 25 years and have strengthened their squad with the return of midfielder Gus Hamer from Sheffield United and goalkeeper Carl Rushworth from Brighton.
Winger Loum Tchaouna, defender Aurele Amenda and Ghana international Caleb Yirenkyi have also joined the promoted side as manager Frank Lampard prepares for the new season.
-
Politics4 days ago2027: Advertising experts raise concerns over irregular regulation of sector
-
FCT News15 hours ago
2027: Hasana-Moneme pledges skills, empowerment, credit access for FCT women
-
Uncategorized1 month ago
INEC flags off Mega Continuous Voter Registration Centre, enrols 31,835 new voters
-
General News2 weeks ago
2027: Dame Princess Esom-Nwafor Orizu confirmed as APC flagbearer for Nnewi North /South /Ekwusigo Federal Constituency as INEC releases names of candidates
-
Uncategorized1 month ago
Rescue of Oyo schoolchilden: Tinubu commends security agencies, says action breakthrough in fight against criminality
-
Uncategorized1 month ago
PCC Anambra Commissioner pays courtesy visit to FRSC sector commander
-
Uncategorized1 month ago
My service to my country gave me a profound sense of who I am – Former PSC Boss, Chief Simon Okeke
-
Uncategorized1 month ago
Ignore unverified HIV figures on social media, verify through official channels, says ANSACA boss
