Uncategorized
Ideato House of Reps member salutes Tinubu, Umahi, Soludo, others for award of Oba-Nnewi-Uga-Okigwe duel carriage road project

By Akuma Mbah
The member representing Ideato North and South Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives, Hon. Ikenga Imo Ugochinyere Ikeagwuanu, has hailed President Bola Tinubu, Minister of Works Dave Umahi, Anambra State Governor, Chukwuma Soludo, and Speaker Tajudeen Abbas, following the approval of the Oba–Nnewi–Uga–Akokwa–Arondizuogu–Okigwe road project, declaring that years of relentless advocacy have finally yielded fruit.
President Tinubu recently approved the design and procurement of the 150-kilometre Oba–Nnewi–Amichi-Ekwulumili-Uga- Akokwa–Ihube (Okigwe Junction) Road as part of two major dual carriageway projects aimed at improving regional connectivity and boosting economic activities across Nigeria’s Southeast.
The approval followed engagements between the Federal Government and the Anambra State Government, with discussions beginning during Governor Soludo’s meeting with the President on July 1, 2026. The Federal Ministry of Works subsequently requested formal proposals, which the Anambra State Government submitted on July 3. Governor Soludo said the Minister of Works, Senator Dave Umahi, informed him on July 15 that the President had approved both projects to proceed to the design and procurement stage.
The highway is expected to connect Anambra and Imo states to the Enugu–Port Harcourt Expressway through parts of Abia State, strengthen links between the Southeast, North Central, and South-South regions, facilitate the movement of people and goods, reduce travel time, and stimulate economic growth across the affected states.
Hon. Ugochinyere, who had consistently championed the rehabilitation of the road, described the approval as a victory for the people of Ideato, Okigwe, and surrounding communities who have endured years of neglect and hardship. The lawmaker had earlier moved a motion at the House of Representatives, painting a grim picture of the road which he said had become a death trap in recent times. According to him, the long-neglected Akokwa–Arondizuogu–Okigwe road had not only claimed many lives but had become a free zone for armed robbers who unleash terror on innocent road users on almost a daily basis.
In his motion, which was unanimously adopted by the House, Hon. Ugochinyere noted that the road cuts across Idemili North-South, Nnewi North-South-Ekwusigo, Aguata, and Ideato North-South federal constituencies of Anambra and Imo states. He urged the House to prevail on the Ministry of Works and Housing to commence full-scale rehabilitation of the roads in order to reduce the suffering of his constituents. He also warned that with the rainy season, the already deplorable state of the road had worsened, with torrential erosions threatening the lives, businesses, and economy of inhabitants of the affected communities.
The motion was supported by Hon. Uche Elodimuo (Nnewi North/Nnewi South and Ekwusigo Federal Constituency), Hon. Uchenna Okonkwo (Idemili North/South Federal Constituency), and Hon. Dom Okafor (Aguata Federal Constituency). Speaker Tajudeen Abbas had then referred the motion to the House Committee on Works to ensure full compliance with the resolution.
Speaking on the development, Hon. Ugochinyere saluted President Tinubu for his visionary leadership and commitment to infrastructure development in the Southeast. He also commended the Federal Ministry of Works under Senator Dave Umahi for its responsiveness, Governor Soludo for his proactive engagement with the Federal Government, and Speaker Abbas for his unwavering support in ensuring that the motion received the attention it deserved.
“This approval is a clear expression of what we can achieve when we work together across party lines for the good of our people. Years of advocacy have paid off,” Hon. Ugochinyere was quoted as saying. “The Oba-Uga-Akokwa road will not only save lives but will open up our communities for economic prosperity. I thank Mr. President, the Works Ministry, Governor Soludo, and the Speaker for making this a reality.”
The highway projects are also expected to enhance trade, lower transportation costs, and strengthen economic integration across multiple geopolitical zones. The Otuocha–Anam–Abaji Road, the other approved project, will link Anambra State with Kogi State and North Central Nigeria.
Uncategorized
Osun guber: APC senator recants, says “I meant kill Accord with votes, not violence” —
Few hours after his viral video generated criticisms and reaction over his charge on his supporters to “kill” any member of Accord Party who is seen in Ilesha, Senator Francis Fadahunsi, the lawmaker representing the Osun East Senatorial District, recanted his statement , and clarified the intention behind his ‘Kill Accord’ comment
The APC senator was seen In the video, speaking in Yoruba and accusing Accord Party members of attacking members of the All Progressives Congress, he therefore urged the gathering to attack Accord Party supporters in Ilesa.
He was also seen daring those present to record his remarks and share them on social media, while reportedly addressing APC supporters in Ilesa ahead of the August 15, 2026, governorship election.
The video however attracted serious criticism and condemnation after all the 13 participating political parties and their candidates have signed a peace accord ahead of the August 15 election, with the state governor, Ademola Adeleke, calling for his arrest and prosecution for allegedly incitng violence
But in a swift reaction, through a statement by his media office,, titled ‘Kill Osun Accord with Votes, Not Violence, Senator Fadahunsi Tells APC,’ the senator said his viral comment was “a call on supporters to overwhelmingly reject the Accord Party at the ballot box through lawful, peaceful and democratic means during the August 15 governorship election.”
“For the avoidance of doubt, the Senator’s statement was purely political and metaphorical,” the statement added.
It noted that the comment didn’t portray the lawmaker as an advocate of violence against any member of the public or political party.
“At no point did Senator Fadahunsi advocate violence, intimidation or any form of physical attack against members or supporters of the Accord Party or any other political party. His consistent position has always been that elections should be decided by the votes of the people and not by force.
“The Senator, therefore, urges political actors, party supporters and the electorate to conduct themselves peacefully before, during and after the election. He also calls on security agencies to remain professional and ensure that every eligible voter is able to exercise their constitutional right without fear or intimidation.
“Senator Fadahunsi remains committed to democratic values, issue-based campaigns and a credible electoral process. He believes that the will of the people, freely expressed through the ballot, must always prevail.
“We, therefore, appeal to members of the public not to misinterpret or deliberately distort the Senator’s comments, as they were clearly intended to encourage electoral victory through the power of the ballot and not through violence,” the statement concluded.
Uncategorized
Kebbi govt spends over N16 Billion on retirement, death benefits – Gov. Idris
Our Reporter
Kebbi State Governor, Comrade Dr. Nasir Idris, has disclosed that his administration has spent over ₦16 billion on retirement and death benefits since assuming office in May 2023.
The Governor made this known on Thursday while delivering his address at the opening ceremony of the Workers’ Rights Summit, held to commemorate the 88th anniversary of the legalization of trade unionism in Nigeria (1938–2026). The event took place at the Presidential Lodge, Birnin Kebbi.
Governor Idris stated that, in line with his administration’s strategic plan for sustainable economic growth, numerous transformative projects have been executed across the state.
“These monumental achievements, alongside many other reforms still in the pipeline, are a testament to the deep commitment of this administration to the dignity and well-being of every worker in Kebbi State,” he said.
He reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to people-oriented policies and appealed for the continued support and cooperation of the people to ensure the success of his government.
The Governor emphasized that his administration has consistently prioritized the welfare of civil servants and the entire workforce.
“We are prepared to collaborate with all stakeholders—including trade unions, civil society organizations, and the organized private sector—to enhance the welfare, safety, and protection of workers’ rights,” he added.
Earlier, the Chairman of the Local Organising Committee and State Head of the Civil Service, Tpl. Mallam Shekare mni, highlighted the achievements of the Kauran Gwandu administration, particularly its commitment to workers’ welfare. He noted that more than ₦16 billion had been expended on retirement and death benefits from May 2023 to date.
The Head of Service commended Governor Nasir Idris for his unwavering support for civil servants, citing the construction and furnishing of the ultra-modern State Secretariat Complex, the implementation of the ₦75,000 minimum wage, and other welfare initiatives.
In his remarks, former President of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Comrade Ayuba Wabba, commended Governor Idris for the remarkable achievements recorded within three years in office. He said the summit was aimed at strengthening workers’ rights and promoting good governance.
He urged participants to emulate the Governor’s commitment to building a better future for workers.
Also speaking, the President of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Comrade Joe Ajaero, represented by the President of the Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT), Comrade Audu Titus Amba, applauded Governor Idris for delivering over 80 percent of his campaign promises. He also commended the organizers for hosting the summit.
He encouraged workers to remain committed to their duties and disclosed that the NLC was working towards a review of the national minimum wage through continued engagement with the Federal Government.
Comrade Amba further thanked the Nigerian Bar Association and the Human Rights Institute for organizing the summit, describing it as a strategic gathering focused on labour, social justice, and democracy at a critical time in the nation’s history.
The Chief Judge of Kebbi State, Justice Umaru Abubakar, also commended the theme of the summit and reaffirmed the state government’s unwavering commitment to the welfare of civil servants.
He stated that the government would continue to partner with relevant organizations to improve workers’ welfare, noting that the dedication of the state’s civil servants has been instrumental to the success of the present administration.
Politics
Tinubu qualified to run for president despite certificate submitted – APC Ex-Legal APC Adviser, Ogala
By Umar Musa
A former National Legal Adviser of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Babatunde Ogala, on Thursday insisted that President Bola Tinubu is qualified to run for the presidency in 2027.
Ogala said Tinubu is qualified by virtue of his age and the fact that he is a Nigerian.
He made this known on Channels Television’s Politics Today while reacting to the controversy surrounding Tinubu’s qualifications.
Tinubu did not submit his primary and secondary school certificates to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
This has led to widespread controversy among Nigerians.
However, Ogala said: “What does the Constitution say about qualification for office? Because I hear things like: Who are his parents? Who is his father? Who is his mother? Who is his sister? And who is his brother?
“Is he a Nigerian? The answer is yes, unless otherwise proven or determined through a judicial process. Is Tinubu qualified to run for the presidency age-wise? The answer is yes, by constitutional provisions.
“Does he have the minimum educational qualification as prescribed by the Constitution, which says educated up to School Certificate level, interpreted to mean Primary Six and the ability to read and write?
“The man says, ‘I have a degree.’ Babatunde Ogala is sitting here. I’m a Senior Advocate, and you are asking me to prove if I’m a lawyer. You want to know which primary and secondary schools I attended, where I did my A-Levels, and all of that.”
-
Politics3 days ago2027: Advertising experts raise concerns over irregular regulation of sector
-
Uncategorized1 month ago
INEC flags off Mega Continuous Voter Registration Centre, enrols 31,835 new voters
-
Uncategorized1 month ago
PCC Anambra Commissioner pays courtesy visit to FRSC sector commander
-
General News2 weeks ago
2027: Dame Princess Esom-Nwafor Orizu confirmed as APC flagbearer for Nnewi North /South /Ekwusigo Federal Constituency as INEC releases names of candidates
-
Uncategorized1 month ago
Rescue of Oyo schoolchilden: Tinubu commends security agencies, says action breakthrough in fight against criminality
-
Uncategorized1 month ago
My service to my country gave me a profound sense of who I am – Former PSC Boss, Chief Simon Okeke
-
Uncategorized1 month ago
Ignore unverified HIV figures on social media, verify through official channels, says ANSACA boss
-
Uncategorized2 months ago
Hello world!
