Connect with us

Sports

Backlash for Infantino as UEFA, Concacaf reject proposed sell.of world cup stake, threaten to boycott 2030 World cup 

Published

on

FIFA president, Gianni Infantino has faced serious opposition since the world football governing body announced plans to sell world cup stakes to raise mire fund for member associations

FIFA had last week announced that member associations would receive upgraded funds to the tune of $20m each following an it’s proposed selling world cup stakes 

But opposition to thus proposal has mounted with the Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football (Concacaf) and European Football Asdovians, UEFA threatening to boycott the 3030 World cup, if FIFA moves ahead with the proposal 

Concacaf has formally rejected FIFA’s proposal to sell stakes in the FIFA World Cup to private investors, becoming the latest football body to oppose the plan.

The decision was reached after representatives of all 41 Concacaf member associations met on Thursday to deliberate on the proposal.

According to reports, the meeting exposed growing unease among member nations over FIFA’s leadership under president Gianni Infantino.

Similarly, Europe’s leading football associations have rallied behind UEFA’s decision to boycott FIFA competitions if the world governing body proceeds with plans to sell a stake in the commercial rights of the FIFA World Cup to private investors.

The strong reactions followed UEFA’s unanimous vote on Thursday to oppose FIFA’s controversial proposal, with several national football associations warning they would withdraw from FIFA tournaments unless the governing body reverses course.

England’s Football Association declared its full support for UEFA, insisting the World Cup should remain in the hands of football.

“We stand shoulder to shoulder with our European colleagues and fully support the collective view. We oppose FIFA’s plans — the FIFA World Cup belongs to football and always will,” the FA said in a statement.

Scotland’s Football Association also endorsed the boycott, criticising FIFA over what it described as a lack of consultation and poor governance.

“The Scottish FA Board agrees unequivocally with the concerns raised by all members over the manner in which these proposals have been issued, and the deadline set, without a full consultation process or consideration to good governance,” it said.

Danish FA chairman Jesper Moller dismissed the proposal outright, saying football’s governing body should not allow private investors into its core operations.

“It is out of the question to accede to an agreement of this nature, where we invite private investors into the heart of FIFA. We will therefore support all necessary measures to stop this project,” he said.

Germany also voiced strong opposition through Alexander Wehrle, chairman of the supervisory board of the German FA’s economic and digital subsidiary and chief executive of Bundesliga side VfB Stuttgart.

“A line has once again been crossed and he (Gianni Infantino) wants to sell off football,” Wehrle said.

UEFA threatens World Cup boycott if FIFA pushes private investor proposal

UEFA to boycott FIFA tournaments if Infantino’s investment plan goes through

“I don’t believe an association’s overriding principle should be profit maximisation. Something has gone off track here, and it has to stop.”

Sweden’s Football Association echoed UEFA’s concerns, saying any proposal with such far-reaching implications for international football should be handled through an open, transparent and properly consulted process.

Norwegian FA president Lise Klaveness warned FIFA that member associations were prepared to follow through with the boycott if the proposal continued.

“We cannot accept a process where a project that changes the very core of our shared model is developed in secret, outside the elected bodies, and presented as a done deal without any consultation,” Klaveness said.

“The message from Norway and UEFA is clear: if this project continues, we will withdraw from FIFA competitions.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

WAFCON Outcome: NFF sacks Madugu, disbands Super Falcons technical crew

Published

on

By Our Reporter

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has directed Super Falcons Head Coach Justin Madugu and all members of the team’s technical crew to step down with immediate effect following Nigeria’s disappointing outings at the 2026 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations (WAFCON) and the FIFA Women’s World Cup qualifiers.

The decision comes after a difficult period for the nine-time African champions, who endured their worst-ever performance at the Women’s Africa Cup of Nations.

For the first time in the history of the competition, the Super Falcons failed to reach the semi-finals after suffering a 1-0 quarter-final defeat to Cameroon. Nigeria had struggled to produce convincing performances throughout the tournament before their campaign was brought to an abrupt end in the last eight.

The quarter-final exit also came with major consequences, as the Falcons missed out on an automatic qualification ticket to the FIFA Women’s World Cup for the first time.

Nigeria, however, had another opportunity to keep their World Cup hopes alive through a playoff clash against South Africa. But the Super Falcons were again unable to get the desired result, losing 2-1 to Banyana Banyana.

The back-to-back setbacks have now prompted the NFF to make changes to the team’s technical setup, with Madugu and his assistants ordered to vacate their positions.

Madugu had led the Super Falcons technical crew, working alongside a number of assistants and backroom staff.

The NFF had, in November 2021, appointed Madugu and Edwin Okon as members of the Super Falcons technical crew as part of efforts to restructure and strengthen the team.

With the latest development, attention will now turn to who takes charge of the Super Falcons as Nigeria continues its quest to return to the FIFA Women’s World Cup and reclaim its dominance on the African stage.

Continue Reading

Sports

Ronaldo joined Al-Nassr in 2023 after leaving Manchester United.

Published

on

He has continued to play at the highest level and featured for Portugal at the 2026 FIFA World Cup held in the United States, Canada and Mexico.

The five-time Ballon d’Or winner has scored more than 900 senior career goals for club and country.

He and Rodríguez married in an intimate ceremony at their home in Cascais, Portugal, on August 11, the 10th anniversary of the day they first met.

In the Vogue interview, the couple said they were looking forward to spending more time together and with their children.

Ronaldo said he had already planned his life after football, suggesting that retirement would mark the beginning of a new phase rather than an end to his activities.

Continue Reading

Sports

Rangers legend, Dominic Nwobodo is dead

Published

on

The Rangers International Football club family has been hit by yet another death, barely one year after the passing of it’s celebrated Captain, Christian Chukwu

This time, a pioneer player and captain of the Enugu based legendary club, Dominic Nwobodo has been reported dead

Popularly known as “Alhaji Nwobodo,” Dominic Nwobodo reportedly died on Friday, August 14. 2026

His death was announced by the Ex-Rangers International Footballers Cooperative, of which he was a founding member.

The cooperative described Nwobodo as a remarkable footballer, national player and coach who made significant contributions to the growth and development of Rangers.

“He was not only a dreaded attacker but also a remarkable national player in the 70s, who served the game with dedication, both as a player and as a coach,” the cooperative said in a statement signed by its secretary.

The group said his death had left a huge void in the Rangers family, describing him as a respected figure whose contributions helped shape the history of the club.

Nwobodo, a veteran Biafran soldier was the pioneer captain of Rangers International and among the early players who helped establish Rangers shortly after the Nigerian Civil War in 1970.

A civil war veteran, he was part of the group of former soldiers and war veterans who formed the backbone of the club and helped turn Rangers into a symbol of post-war recovery, unity and resilience in the South-East.

This is probably going to be my last year of football, Ronaldo hints of retirement 

Portugal captain, Cristiano Ronaldo has hinted that he could retire from professional football after the 2026-27 season, saying he wants to leave a “spectacular legacy.”

The 41-year-old Portugal captain made the revelation in an interview with Vogue published on Sunday, as he discussed his future following his wedding to partner Georgina Rodríguez.

“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” Ronaldo said.

He had earlier announced his retirement from international football, after leading Portugal at the last 2026 FIFA World cup that was jointly hosted by the United States of America (USA), Canada and Mexico 

The Al-Nassr forward, who began the new season on August 15, said he is already looking ahead to more time with his family.

“I have my future all mapped out,” he said. “I have so many things to keep me busy that to tell you just one thing is hard.

“Because football could leave a big hole, you have to fill your time in various ways, not just one. And also have more fun, travel more, watch and play padel, which I really like, and continue to enjoy what I’ve earned—what we’ve earned.

“Because after all it’s been 25 years with a lot of sacrifice.”

The comments mark one of the clearest indications yet from the Portuguese star about the approaching end of a career that has included major titles with Manchester United, Real Madrid, Juventus and Portugal.

Continue Reading

Trending