Connect with us

Politics

Dancing has not affected my performance, says Gov Adeleke

Published

on

By Olu Kayode

 Adeleke defends dancing habit says it has not affected his performance 

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has dismissed criticism of his frequent public dancing, insisting that the hobby has never distracted him from performing his duties as governor.

Adeleke made the remarks on Tuesday during a town hall meeting organised by Arise TV for candidates participating in the August 15 Osun State governorship election.

The governor, who described himself as a “prudent worker,” said dancing was part of his personality and family culture, stressing that he was capable of combining his personal interests with the responsibilities of office.

“I dance because in my family, we are jolly good fellows. As I am dancing, I am working. There is time for everything, there is time to dance, and there is time to work. Dancing does not stop me from working. I have delivered across all sectors,” he said.

His comments come amid renewed criticism over his dancing from Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, who recently mocked Adeleke at an All Progressives Congress (APC) campaign rally in Osun State and urged voters to reject what he called the “dancing governor.”

Responding to his critics, Adeleke challenged those who disapprove of his dancing to learn the skill themselves.

“If they can’t dance, I can teach them how to dance,” the governor said.

He maintained that dancing was simply a hobby and had no bearing on his responsibilities, adding that his personality remained popular among the people of Osun State.

“Dancing is a hobby. That does not affect my work. My people love me,” he added.

Turning to his administration’s achievements, Adeleke said his government had constructed and rehabilitated roads across the state, with some of the projects complemented by solar-powered streetlights.

“As I’m speaking to you, I did not only build roads across Osun, I installed them with solar lights. This we did to provide security and enhance economic development,” he said.

The governor also claimed that more than 200 primary healthcare facilities had been upgraded and rehabilitated under his administration.

According to him, the facilities were equipped with electricity and clean water as part of efforts to improve healthcare delivery across the state.

“As of today, we have upgraded and rehabilitated over 200 primary healthcare facilities to global standards, equipped with electricity and clean water,” Adeleke said.

He further stated that qualified engineers had inspected and certified the projects executed by his administration as meeting international standards.

Adeleke is seeking a second term on the platform of the Accord Party after leaving the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), under which he won the 2022 governorship election.

He will face the APC candidate, Munirudeen Bola Oyebamiji, the African Democratic Congress (ADC) candidate, Najeem Salaam, and other contenders in the August 15 election.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Atiku drags Tinubu to count over NYSC certificate discrepancy

Published

on

created by photogrid

By Umaru Ashama

Presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), Atiku Abubakar, has dragged President Bola Tinubu to court over alleged forgery of his National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) discharge certificate.

In a suit filed at the federal high court in Abuja on Friday, Atiku is seeking Tinubu’s disqualification from the 2027 presidential election.

Atiku, the presidential candidate of the ADC, filed the suit alongside the party. The All Progressives Congress (APC) and the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) are joined as defendants.

Atiku also personally appeared at the court registry to depose to an affidavit in support of the suit, saying the case concerned the constitutional requirements for occupying the office of president.

The plaintiffs are challenging Tinubu’s eligibility under provisions of the 1999 Constitution, as amended, and the Electoral Act, 2026.

At the centre of their case is section 137(1)(j) of the constitution, which provides that a person is not qualified for election as president if they have presented a forged certificate to INEC.

According to the affidavit, the NYSC certificate submitted to INEC bears the name “Tinubu Bola Adekunle”, which the plaintiffs contend is different from Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the president’s name.

Atiku and the ADC are asking the court to determine whether Tinubu and the APC should be disqualified from participating in the 2027 presidential election if the allegations are established.

They are also asking INEC to produce Tinubu’s Form CF001 submitted for the 2023 and 2027 presidential elections.

The plaintiffs said Atiku had earlier applied for certified true copies of the relevant documents but had not received a response by the time the suit was prepared.

Speaking after deposing to the affidavit, Atiku said he personally appeared at the registry because of the constitutional implications of the case.

“I came here personally because the issues before the court go to the heart of our constitution and the integrity of the office of president,” Atiku said.

“I have therefore put my name, my signature and my oath behind the facts we are presenting to the court. Now it is President Tinubu’s turn to answer them.”

The suit also challenges provisions of the Electoral Act, 2026, which the plaintiffs argue restrict the ability to challenge a candidate’s qualification at the pre-election stage.

They contend that an act of the National Assembly cannot override an express provision of the constitution and are asking the court to determine whether the statutory restrictions can prevent them from relying on section 137(1)(j).

The plaintiffs are consequently seeking an order disqualifying Tinubu and the APC from participating in the 2027 presidential election on the grounds set out in the suit.

Atiku said the matter should be resolved through the courts and not political arguments or public speculation.

“We are not asking Nigerians to decide this matter on social media, and we are not asking INEC to become a court,” he said.

“We are asking the institution holding the records to produce them and the judiciary to examine the evidence and pronounce on it.”

Counsel to the plaintiffs, Edwin Inegedu, a senior advocate of Nigeria (SAN), and Joseph Onu Silas, said they were confident in the case after reviewing the relevant constitutional and electoral provisions.

Silas said the suit also presented an opportunity for the courts to further clarify Nigeria’s electoral jurisprudence.

“We are confident that justice will prevail. This case presents an important opportunity to further develop Nigeria’s electoral jurisprudence,” he added.

Continue Reading

Politics

Osun Guber Election: Police arrest lawmaker, 146 suspected political thugs in Ikire

Published

on

By Lookman Jibowu

Osun Police Command has arrested a serving member of the state House of Assembly, Abiola Inaolaji, alongside 146 suspected political thugs in Ikire, Irewole Local Government Area of the state.

The command’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Abiosun Ojelabi, confirmed the arrest on Saturday in Osogbo.

Ojelabi said that the lawmaker, a member of Accord, was arrested by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and Intelligence Response Team (IRT) in the early hours of Saturday.

He said that Inaolaji, representing Irewole/Isokan State Constituency, was arrested during a police operation.

Ojelabi said that the arrest was part of intensified security operations by the police to prevent actions capable of undermining the credibility of the electoral process.

Meanwhile, in a viral video clip, a man identified as Ibrahim was seen identifying himself and confessing to facilitating the movement of 146 suspects to Osun from neighbouring states for the purpose of voting in the election.

Continue Reading

Politics

2027: Advertising experts raise concerns over irregular regulation of sector 

Published

on

Ahead of the 2027 general elections, advertising experts have raised concerns over what they described as irregular regulation policies across the states

This is even as they called for urgent harmonisation of Nigeria’s regulatory frameworks governing outdoor advertising in the country 

The practitioners warned that overlapping and conflicting requirements could undermine investment, fair competition and professional practice in the industry.

Advertising expert, TOE Ekechi, who made the call during the 41st Annual General Meeting of the Out -of – Home Advertising Association of Nigeria (OAAN) in Abeokuta, Ogun state warned that indiscriminate imposition of advertising fees across the states wound hinder the growth of the sector, as well as affect the delivery of it’s contents 

Ekechi made the call while delivering a keynote address at the 41st Annual General Meeting of the Out-of-Home Advertising Association of Nigeria (OAAN) in Abeokuta, Ogun State.

Speaking on the topic, “Out-of-Home Advertising Association of Nigeria in Political Campaign Season: Policies, Politics and Fair Practice,”  the advertising guru said outdoor advertising practitioners often operate within a complex regulatory environment involving different authorities, permits, fees and enforcement requirements.

It would be recalled that several state governments have recently imposed intimidating fees for placement of political campaign adverts across the states, including billboards, posters

According to him, “regulatory responsibilities should be clearly defined to prevent duplication, conflicting directives and unnecessary financial burdens on practitioners.”

He stressed that political campaign periods make the issue even more critical because increased demand for advertising spaces can expose operators to multiple regulatory demands within a short period.

Ekechi also warned against selective enforcement, insisting that rules governing political advertising must be transparent and applied uniformly to all parties and candidates.

«“If one candidate is denied access because of a regulatory restriction, that same restriction must apply to others in comparable circumstances,” he stated.»

He urged OAAN to engage government and regulatory agencies in developing a more coordinated framework that would provide clarity on permits, fees, approvals, enforcement, advertising rights and compliance responsibilities.

Ekechi maintained that predictable regulation would encourage investment and strengthen the capacity of outdoor advertising companies to plan for long-term growth.

He further called on OAAN to strengthen self-regulation and ensure that practitioners uphold professional standards while advocating reforms within the regulatory system.

He maintained that a properly harmonised regulatory framework would benefit not only outdoor advertising practitioners but also government, political parties, advertisers and the wider economy.

Continue Reading

Trending