General News
Opposition parties boycott Bauchi LG polls over fees, timetable
Abubakar Umar
Barely one day to the conduct of local government elections in Bauchi state, scheduled for today, a coalition of opposition parties in the state have announced their decision to boycott the entire exercise, accusing the Bauchi State Independent Electoral Commission (BASIEC), of imposing fees and timelines that make fair participation impossible.
The parties made the announcement on Sunday during a world press conference at the NUJ Secretariat in Bauchi.
Dr. Ladan Salihu, Spokesperson of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), national office, said the decision followed a review of BASIEC’s guidelines, nomination fees, and election timetable.
Parties in the coalition include the ADC, which leads the group, as well as the AAC, SDP, PRP, and NNPP.
Dr. Salihu faulted the legal framework for the polls, saying BASIEC is conducting the election under the state’s 2008 electoral law, which he argued contradicts the 2026 Electoral Act.
“This has produced a weak and questionable legal foundation for the conduct of these elections,” he said.
The coalition decried what it described as “high nomination and administrative charges” despite the exercise being funded by the state.
According to the opposition parties, they were given only July 15–17 for primaries, July 22–24 to collect forms, and July 27–29 to return them, leaving little time for screening and dispute resolution.
The Coalition further complained about centralized processing, which it noted that a directive that all forms be processed only at BASIEC headquarters in Bauchi placed extra transport and financial burdens on opposition parties.
Dr. Salihu alleged the ruling party had already leveraged government resources and time to prepare, while opposition parties depend on voluntary contributions.
He also claimed some opposition parties were “contacted, cajoled, or even induced financially to participate and lend credibility to the process.”
“It is a principled rejection of political manipulation, financial exclusion, and an electoral process that does not guarantee free, fair and credible election,” he said.
“We hereby announce our resolve to boycott what we consider a kangaroo election,” the coalition declared.
Instead, the parties said they would redirect resources to mobilization and party building.
They urged BASIEC to address the issues and provide a level playing field.
“Should BASIEC fail to do so, we will be left with no option but to take whatever further action we deem legitimately necessary,” Dr. Salihu warned.
He reaffirmed the parties’ commitment to democracy and peaceful participation, and prayed for peace in Bauchi State and Nigeria.
BASIEC is yet to respond to the allegations. The LG polls are scheduled for Monday, August 17, 2026.
General News
NGF congratulates Gov. Adeleke on re-election
The Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF) has congratulated Gov. Ademola Adeleke of Osun on his re-election, describing his victory as a reflection of the confidence reposed in his leadership by the people of the state.
The forum, in a statement signed by its Chairman and Kwara governor, AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, on Sunday, said Adeleke’s achievements and personal qualities contributed to his victory in the keenly contested election.
The NGF also commended the people of Osun for the large turnout during the election.
It said the interest generated by the off-cycle poll further demonstrated the resilience of Nigeria’s democracy.
The forum acknowledged the important role of opposition parties in strengthening democracy and commended all candidates who participated in the election for their efforts.
It also commended security agencies for curtailing the initial trend of violence in the days preceding the election and creating a secure environment for the poll to take place with minimal incidents.
The forum acknowledged the role played by President Bola Tinubu in balancing his position as leader of the ruling party with his responsibility as the father of the nation.
“We are confident that Gov. Adeleke will continue to build on the successes of his first term in the overall interest of the people of Osun State,” the forum said.
General News
NYSC commends corps members’ discipline, commitment duriñg Osun election
The Osun Coordinator of National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), Mr Ekeng Kubiangha, has commended corps members deployed as ad hoc staff for Saturday’s governorship election for their discipline and commitment to duty during the exercise.
This is contained in a statement made available to newsmen by the Spokesperson for the scheme, Mrs Catherine Otemuyiwa, on Sunday in Osogbo.
Otemuyiwa said that Kubiangha monitored some selected polling units across Ede South, Ede North, Olorunda, Osogbo and Egbedore Local Government Areas of the state where corps members were deployed.
She listed other polling units visited by the state coordinator to include Alajue 1 and Alajue 2, Akoda/Oloki, Isibo/Buhari-Isola wards and some parts of Osogbo, where he assessed the safety and welfare of the corps members.
Otemuyiwa quoted the state coordinator as expressing satisfaction with the conduct of the corps members.
He said that they adhered to instructions, operational guidelines and safety advisories issued during the sensitisation tour of the local government areas.
“I am glad that corps members also complied with directives from the NYSC National Directorate Headquarters and the South-West Area Office 1.
“Corps members were safe and discharged their responsibilities without fear, intimidation or undue interference,” he said.
Kubiangha commended the officers who manned the Situation Room as well as Zonal Inspectors and Local Government Inspectors for their effective coordination and monitoring of corps members throughout the exercise.
He also appreciated security agencies for their efforts in protecting corps members deployed for election duties across the state.
The state coordinator expressed appreciation to INEC officials for their prompt response to issues reported from the field.
He acknowledged the cooperation among the various stakeholders, particularly under the Inter-Consultative Committee on Election Security (ICCES), describing it as a significant factor in ensuring a peaceful and orderly election.
Kubiangha reiterated NYSC’s commitment to the safety and welfare of corps members, urging them to continue to uphold the ideals of the scheme, professionalism and national service in the discharge of their responsibilities.(NAN).
General News
Troops kill 5 terrorists, nab 9 IPOB/ESN suspects, intercept political thugs
Troops of the Nigerian Army have killed five terrorists, rescued abductees and arrested several suspects in intelligence-led operations across the country.
This is contained in an operational update made available on Sunday in Abuja.
The report said the operations, conducted between Aug. 14 and Aug. 15, also targeted terrorist logistics networks, illegal bunkering, political thuggery and other criminal activities.
In the North-East, it said the troops of Operation HADIN KAI intercepted three JAS terrorists who surrendered at Sabsawa in Bama Local Government Area (LGA) of Borno.
According to the report, the terrorists reportedly fled their camp following logistical difficulties and clashes with rival ISWAP elements.
“They surrendered two AK-47 rifles, 243 rounds of 7.62mm ammunition, 40 empty cases and other ammunition and military items.
“Troops also rescued an abducted woman and her two children along the Amuda Bridge in Gwoza LGA, after she escaped from a terrorist enclave where she had reportedly been held since 2017,” it said.
The report also revealed that troops apprehended a suspected terrorist infiltrator at Kukareta in Damaturu LGA of Yobe, adding that he was undergoing further investigation.
It said the troops of Operation FANSAN YAMMA neutralised two terrorists during an engagement at Kurudu village in Kankia LGA of Katrina State, and recovered an AK-47 rifle.
“In the North-Central, troops of Operation ENDURING PEACE raided a suspected kidnappers’ hideout at Mista-Ali in Bassa LGA of Plateau, arresting three suspects.
“In a separate operation, troops foiled an attack on residents of Ariri village in Bassa, rescuing an injured victim after the attackers fled.
“In the South-East, troops of Operation UDO KA killed three suspected IPOB/ESN members and arrested nine others during a clearance operation in Osuakwa, on the boundary between Ihiala and Ogbaru areas of Anambra.
“The operation, conducted with the Department of State Services and other security agencies, also led to the recovery of an FN rifle, pump-action rifle, ammunition, four motorcycles and 15 dynamites.
“Other recovered items included a gas cylinder, batteries and handheld-radio chargers, while the suspected terrorist camps were destroyed,” the report said.
It added that troops of the operation also arrested three suspects during an anti-illegal bunkering operation at Ihie community in Isiala Ngwa North LGA of Abia.
According to the report, troops recovered a vehicle, five motorcycles, jerrycans, suspected illegally refined AGO and ₦135,000 before destroying an illegal refinery camp.
The report further revealed that troops deployed for Operation SAFE CONDUCT during the Osun Governorship election, apprehended three suspected political thugs at Ikire in Irewole LGA.
It added that the suspects were allegedly detailed by a political party to disrupt the electoral process, with troops recovering a locally fabricated pistol, motorcycle, mobile phones and ₦163,400.
In the South-South, army said troops of Operation DELTA SAFE discovered 3,100 litres of fuel allegedly siphoned from a pipeline around Eleme refinery in Rivers.
According to the report, the latest operations demonstrate the continued focus on intelligence-led operations to disrupt terrorist groups, criminal networks, illegal economic activities and threats to public safety. (NAN).
-
Politics3 days ago2027: Advertising experts raise concerns over irregular regulation of sector
-
Uncategorized1 month ago
INEC flags off Mega Continuous Voter Registration Centre, enrols 31,835 new voters
-
General News2 weeks ago
2027: Dame Princess Esom-Nwafor Orizu confirmed as APC flagbearer for Nnewi North /South /Ekwusigo Federal Constituency as INEC releases names of candidates
-
Uncategorized1 month ago
PCC Anambra Commissioner pays courtesy visit to FRSC sector commander
-
Uncategorized1 month ago
Rescue of Oyo schoolchilden: Tinubu commends security agencies, says action breakthrough in fight against criminality
-
Uncategorized1 month ago
My service to my country gave me a profound sense of who I am – Former PSC Boss, Chief Simon Okeke
-
Uncategorized1 month ago
Ignore unverified HIV figures on social media, verify through official channels, says ANSACA boss
-
Uncategorized2 months ago
Hello world!
