Connect with us

Sports

Backlash for Infantino as UEFA, Concacaf reject proposed sell.of world cup stake, threaten to boycott 2030 World cup 

Published

on

FIFA president, Gianni Infantino has faced serious opposition since the world football governing body announced plans to sell world cup stakes to raise mire fund for member associations

FIFA had last week announced that member associations would receive upgraded funds to the tune of $20m each following an it’s proposed selling world cup stakes 

But opposition to thus proposal has mounted with the Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football (Concacaf) and European Football Asdovians, UEFA threatening to boycott the 3030 World cup, if FIFA moves ahead with the proposal 

Concacaf has formally rejected FIFA’s proposal to sell stakes in the FIFA World Cup to private investors, becoming the latest football body to oppose the plan.

The decision was reached after representatives of all 41 Concacaf member associations met on Thursday to deliberate on the proposal.

According to reports, the meeting exposed growing unease among member nations over FIFA’s leadership under president Gianni Infantino.

Similarly, Europe’s leading football associations have rallied behind UEFA’s decision to boycott FIFA competitions if the world governing body proceeds with plans to sell a stake in the commercial rights of the FIFA World Cup to private investors.

The strong reactions followed UEFA’s unanimous vote on Thursday to oppose FIFA’s controversial proposal, with several national football associations warning they would withdraw from FIFA tournaments unless the governing body reverses course.

England’s Football Association declared its full support for UEFA, insisting the World Cup should remain in the hands of football.

“We stand shoulder to shoulder with our European colleagues and fully support the collective view. We oppose FIFA’s plans — the FIFA World Cup belongs to football and always will,” the FA said in a statement.

Scotland’s Football Association also endorsed the boycott, criticising FIFA over what it described as a lack of consultation and poor governance.

“The Scottish FA Board agrees unequivocally with the concerns raised by all members over the manner in which these proposals have been issued, and the deadline set, without a full consultation process or consideration to good governance,” it said.

Danish FA chairman Jesper Moller dismissed the proposal outright, saying football’s governing body should not allow private investors into its core operations.

“It is out of the question to accede to an agreement of this nature, where we invite private investors into the heart of FIFA. We will therefore support all necessary measures to stop this project,” he said.

Germany also voiced strong opposition through Alexander Wehrle, chairman of the supervisory board of the German FA’s economic and digital subsidiary and chief executive of Bundesliga side VfB Stuttgart.

“A line has once again been crossed and he (Gianni Infantino) wants to sell off football,” Wehrle said.

UEFA threatens World Cup boycott if FIFA pushes private investor proposal

UEFA to boycott FIFA tournaments if Infantino’s investment plan goes through

“I don’t believe an association’s overriding principle should be profit maximisation. Something has gone off track here, and it has to stop.”

Sweden’s Football Association echoed UEFA’s concerns, saying any proposal with such far-reaching implications for international football should be handled through an open, transparent and properly consulted process.

Norwegian FA president Lise Klaveness warned FIFA that member associations were prepared to follow through with the boycott if the proposal continued.

“We cannot accept a process where a project that changes the very core of our shared model is developed in secret, outside the elected bodies, and presented as a done deal without any consultation,” Klaveness said.

“The message from Norway and UEFA is clear: if this project continues, we will withdraw from FIFA competitions.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Transfer: Ruud Gullit picks EPL’s ‘best signing of the summer’

Published

on

Former Chelsea midfielder, Ruud Gullit, believes that England international, Marcus Rashford’s return to Manchester United could be the best Premier League signing of the summer.

Rashford recently returned to Manchester United after his loan spell at Barcelona ended.

Barcelona were expected to make the 28-year-old’s loan deal permanent in a £26million deal.

But the LaLiga champions ended up signing Anthony Gordon from Newcastle United and didn’t sign Rashford permanently.

Rashford has already joined up with Michael Carrick’s side at pre-season training after his World Cup break ended.

Speaking to Sport Witness, Gullit said, “Marcus Rashford could end up being the best signing.

“He learned a lot at Barcelona and played much better, with far more freedom, than he ever did at Manchester United.”

Continue Reading

Sports

2027 Women’s World Cup: Two African teams confirmed for Inter-Confederation play-offs

Published

on

Ghana and South Africa have clinched the two African slots for the Inter-Confederation play-offs ahead of the 2027 Women’s World Cup in Brazil.

This follows their victories in the African play-offs on Thursday night.

The Black Queens came from a goal down to defeat Ivory Coast 2-1 in the first game.

Bayana Bayana also held on to beat Nigeria 2-1 despite going down to 10 men in stoppage them.

They both advance to a six-team preliminary round in the Inter-Confederation play-offs.

From there, two countries will progress to a final play-off phase alongside four nations that receive direct byes.

Continue Reading

Sports

Transfer: ‘Our stance is clear on Osimhen’ – Galatasaray  to Arsenal, Al-Hilal 

Published

on

The Galatasaray management has sent a clear message to clubs interested in signing Victor Osimhen that their top striker is not for sale.

Osimhen has been linked with Arsenal and Al-Hilal this summer transfer window.

Reports emerged that Al-Hilal have entered the race to sign the Nigerian international as they aim to sell former Real Madrid striker, Karim Benzema

Also, it was reported that Arsenal have asked about the 27-year-old, with the Gunners and Galatasaray currently in talks over a possible transfer of the Super Eagles attacker.

However, according to Erdem Açıkgöz’s report (via Habersarikirmizi), the Galatasaray management has now responded, insisting, “Our stance is clear; no matter what, we are not selling Osimhen.”

Osimhen joined Galatasaray on a permanent transfer from Napoli last year and helped them to win the Turkish Super Lig for a second consecutive season.

Continue Reading

Trending