Connect with us

Sports

Osun Guber: IG explains removal of Commissioner, says politicians responsible

Published

on

Abu Umar 

The Inspector-General of Police, Tunji Disu, has tied the removal of the Osun State Commissioner of Police, Ibrahim Gotan, on politicians complaints ahead of the August 15, 2026, governorship election.

Disu made this disclosure on his X hqbdle on Sunday, explaining that the decision was taken after consultations with political stakeholders who expressed concerns about the confidence they had in the state police commissioner.

He said the police had introduced the position of an electoral commissioner of police to oversee election security, with the new officer taking charge of operations ahead of the poll.

“For the first time, we introduced the electoral commissioner of police who will be taking charge of the elections earlier, when we noticed that certain groups of politicians and parties were complaining that they no longer trust the commissioner of police.

“So, the commissioner of police was asked to stand aside while the electoral commissioner of police moved in,” he said.

According to the IG, other senior police officers with specific responsibilities for the election will also be deployed to the state.

“The AIG in charge of election will be moving in any moment from now. The Deputy Commissioner of Police, who will be taking charge of the Osun election, will also be moving in,” he said.

Disu said the officers deployed for the election had been given specific instructions to ensure adequate security during the poll.

“They have specific instructions. We the police are in charge of internal security. We are the lead organisation in charge of this election,” he stated.

The IG, however, assured that the Police would work with other security agencies deployed for the election.

“Yes, we are going to cooperate with other sister agencies who are going to support us during this election,” he said.

On concerns over possible violence ahead of the election, Disu said the Police had already deployed teams across the state to prevent a breakdown of law and order.

He said the deployments were aimed at curtailing violence and ensuring that residents could exercise their right to vote peacefully.

The Osun governorship election is scheduled for August 15, with incumbent Governor Ademola Adeleke of the Accord Party seeking re-election against the All Progressives Congress candidate, Asiwaju Bola Oyebamiji, popularly known as Ambo.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Transfer: Ruud Gullit picks EPL’s ‘best signing of the summer’

Published

on

Former Chelsea midfielder, Ruud Gullit, believes that England international, Marcus Rashford’s return to Manchester United could be the best Premier League signing of the summer.

Rashford recently returned to Manchester United after his loan spell at Barcelona ended.

Barcelona were expected to make the 28-year-old’s loan deal permanent in a £26million deal.

But the LaLiga champions ended up signing Anthony Gordon from Newcastle United and didn’t sign Rashford permanently.

Rashford has already joined up with Michael Carrick’s side at pre-season training after his World Cup break ended.

Speaking to Sport Witness, Gullit said, “Marcus Rashford could end up being the best signing.

“He learned a lot at Barcelona and played much better, with far more freedom, than he ever did at Manchester United.”

Continue Reading

Sports

2027 Women’s World Cup: Two African teams confirmed for Inter-Confederation play-offs

Published

on

Ghana and South Africa have clinched the two African slots for the Inter-Confederation play-offs ahead of the 2027 Women’s World Cup in Brazil.

This follows their victories in the African play-offs on Thursday night.

The Black Queens came from a goal down to defeat Ivory Coast 2-1 in the first game.

Bayana Bayana also held on to beat Nigeria 2-1 despite going down to 10 men in stoppage them.

They both advance to a six-team preliminary round in the Inter-Confederation play-offs.

From there, two countries will progress to a final play-off phase alongside four nations that receive direct byes.

Continue Reading

Sports

Transfer: ‘Our stance is clear on Osimhen’ – Galatasaray  to Arsenal, Al-Hilal 

Published

on

The Galatasaray management has sent a clear message to clubs interested in signing Victor Osimhen that their top striker is not for sale.

Osimhen has been linked with Arsenal and Al-Hilal this summer transfer window.

Reports emerged that Al-Hilal have entered the race to sign the Nigerian international as they aim to sell former Real Madrid striker, Karim Benzema

Also, it was reported that Arsenal have asked about the 27-year-old, with the Gunners and Galatasaray currently in talks over a possible transfer of the Super Eagles attacker.

However, according to Erdem Açıkgöz’s report (via Habersarikirmizi), the Galatasaray management has now responded, insisting, “Our stance is clear; no matter what, we are not selling Osimhen.”

Osimhen joined Galatasaray on a permanent transfer from Napoli last year and helped them to win the Turkish Super Lig for a second consecutive season.

Continue Reading

Trending