Connect with us

General News

Chamba elders demand Namdas’ BCDA appointment letter

Published

on

Our Reporter 

The Chamba Elders Council (CEC) of Adamawa State has appealed to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to release the appointment letter of Hon. Abdulrazak Sa’ad Namdas as Director-General of the Border Communities Development Agency (BCDA).

The elders made the appeal on Tuesday, August 11, 2026, during a press briefing held at the Nigerian Union of Journalists (NUJ) Press Centre in Yola, where they expressed appreciation to the Federal Government for appointing one of their own to the strategic position.

The briefing, led by the Vice Chairman of the Chamba Elders Council, Alhaji Kashim Njidda, was held under the theme, “Together We Stand, Divided We Fall.”

According to the council, the Chamba Elders Council comprises elders of Chamba origin from the Ganye Chiefdom, including Ganye, Jada and Toungo Local Government Areas, as well as Chamba communities in Mayo-Belwa and Fufore Local Government Areas.

The council described the appointment of Namdas as a significant recognition of the Chamba people, noting that it was the first time in many years that a person from the community had been appointed to such a prestigious federal position.

The elders commended President Tinubu for the appointment and also expressed gratitude to Vice President Kashim Shettima for his support to the community.

They recalled that Shettima was represented in Ganye by the Minister of State for Regional Development, Hon. Uba Maigari Ahmadu, during the 25th anniversary celebration of His Royal Highness Gangwari Ganye, Alhaji Umaru Adamu Sanda.

The council said Namdas’ background and experience made him suitable for the BCDA position, particularly because he hails from a border community and the area also co-hosts the Gashaka-Gumti National Park, described by the council as the largest national park in Nigeria.

The elders further highlighted Namdas’ previous public service experience, noting that he served two terms in the Federal House of Representatives, where he chaired the Committees on Media and Public Affairs and Army.

They also noted that he previously served on the Governing Board of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), representing the North-East Zone.

The council said Namdas had demonstrated strong engagement with the public and commendable performance in his previous positions, expressing confidence that he would bring the same commitment to his new role at the BCDA.

However, the elders raised concern that more than six weeks after the appointment was announced, Namdas was yet to receive his official appointment letter, despite the announcement stating that the appointment should take immediate effect.

They said other individuals appointed alongside him had reportedly received their letters and assumed office, and urged the relevant authorities to address the delay.

The council appealed to President Tinubu, through the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), to ensure the immediate release of Namdas’ appointment letter.

They also called on Adamawa State Governor, Rt. Hon. Ahmadu Umaru Fintiri, and the National Security Adviser, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, to assist in ensuring that the appointment letter is released.

The elders argued that the release of the letter would not only enable Namdas to assume his responsibilities but would also boost morale among the people of his community.

Meanwhile, the Vice Chairman of the NUJ Adamawa State Council, Mrs. Nuwanayina Iddah, while addressing the Chamba elders, expressed appreciation for their timely engagement with the media and their decision to bring the matter before the relevant authorities through the press.

She acknowledged the presence of various media organisations at the briefing, including The Nation, Punch and Blueprint, saying the media would report the concerns raised and seek feedback from the Presidency.

Iddah assured the elders of the continued support of the media in giving appropriate coverage to the issue, expressing optimism that their appeal would receive favourable consideration.

She urged all parties to remain hopeful, stressing that the media would continue to disseminate developments on the matter to the public.

The briefing ended with prayers for a favourable response from the authorities and safe journeys for those who attended the event.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

General News

INEC announces Adeleke as winner of Osun governorship election

Published

on

By Akin Osinwo

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has declared Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, the winner of Saturday’s governorship election, after he secured the highest number of votes across the state.

The State Returning Officer for the election and Vice-Chancellor of the Federal University, Oye Ekiti, Prof. Joshua Ogunwole, announced the final results at about 7:24am on Sunday.

Adeleke, who contested the election on the platform of the Accord, polled 511,067 votes to defeat the candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Bola Oyebamiji, who garnered 444,815 votes.

With the victory, the incumbent governor has secured another term in office.

Adeleke won in 19 of the state’s 30 local government areas, while Oyebamiji prevailed in 11 LGAs.

The governor recorded victories in Ede North, Ede South, Ejigbo, Iwo, Egbedore, Ife North, Ife East, Ife Central, Oriade, Ifelodun, Orolu, Ayedaade, Ayedire, Odo Otin, Boluwaduro, Ilesa West, Ifedayo, Osogbo and one other local government area.

Oyebamiji, on the other hand, secured victory in Irewole, Isokan, Olorunda, Atakumosa East, Atakumosa West, Ilesa East, Boripe, Irepodun and Obokun, among others.

Giving the final figures, Ogunwole said, “Accredited voters, 1010684, total votes received by political parties, A, 511067, AA, 2308, AAC, 1458, ADC, 17180, ADP, 2946, APC, 444815, APGA, 1475, APM, 234, APP, 114, BP, 111, NNPP, 118, PRP, 83, SDP, 155, YPP, 534, ZLP, 2482, total valid votes, 985079, rejected votes, 207, total vote cast, 1,005,800.”

Following the endorsement of the results by agents representing the participating political parties, the Returning Officer formally declared Adeleke the winner.

“That Ademola Nurudeen-Jackson Adeleke having satisfied the requirements of the law is hereby declare the winner of the August 15 Governorship election and returned elected,” Ogunwole said.

The African Democratic Congress candidate, Najeem Salaam, finished third in the election.

The result brings to a close the keenly contested governorship poll, with Adeleke retaining the governorship after defeating the APC challenger across a majority of the state’s local government areas.

Continue Reading

General News

Lakurawa terrorist group kills 4 soldiers in deadly Sokoto attack

Published

on

By Mohammadu Ahmad

At least four soldiers are feared dead following an attack by suspected Lakurawa terrorists in Kebbe, Kebbe Local Government Area of Sokoto State, on Friday.

The attackers, reportedly numbering more than 300, stormed the town on motorcycles and engaged troops in a fierce gun battle before allegedly attacking shops, vehicles and a hospital.

The heavily armed group was said to have arrived in Kebbe at about 10am, prompting soldiers deployed at a military base on the outskirts of the town to engage them.

A security expert in the state, Bashar Altine, who confirmed the incident, said four soldiers were feared to have died during the confrontation.

However, the reported casualty figure could not be independently verified as of the time of filing this report.

The spokesman for the Sokoto State Police Command, Ahmed Rufai, also confirmed that an attack occurred but said the command was still working to establish the details.

Rufai said he could not confirm reports of casualties, including the alleged deaths of the four soldiers.

Attempts to obtain confirmation from the spokesman of the 8 Division, Nigerian Army, Lt. Col. Olaniyi Osoba, were unsuccessful, as he had yet to respond to a message sent to him as of press time.

Altine said the attackers moved into the heart of Kebbe after the confrontation with the troops, particularly the Sabon Gari area, where they allegedly broke into shops and stole large quantities of mobile phones and bread.

He said the militants also attacked a military vehicle equipped with a mounted rocket-propelled grenade, damaging three tyres and breaking its windscreen.

The attackers reportedly proceeded to the General Hospital, Kebbe, where they allegedly smashed the windows of vehicles parked within the hospital premises, including the vehicle of the Divisional Police Officer and an ambulance.

“They also seized mobile phones belonging to patients at the hospital,” Altine added.

He further alleged that the terrorists took four motorcycles belonging to residents before beginning their withdrawal from the town.

According to Altine, the attackers eventually left Kebbe in the evening through the direction of the police station and proceeded towards communities west of the town.

“Reports from villages west of Kebbe indicate that they entered Ungushi town, one of the districts in Kebbe Local Government Area,” he said.

Altine said there was no confirmation that any of the attackers had been killed despite the reported gun battle with security forces.

“As of the time of writing this report, we have not seen the body of even one Lakurawa fighter that the soldiers succeeded in killing,” he said.

(PUNCH)

Continue Reading

General News

Anambra billionaire businessman Joseph Ezeokafor (Jezco) regains freedom from kidnappers’ den

Published

on

Joseph Ezeokafor

By Ogechi Eloka

Kidnapped Anambra businessman, Joseph Ezeokafor chairman of Jezco Group of Companies, popularly known as Jezco, has regained his freedom.

According to a social media Facebook post by Fred Chukwuelobe, versatile journalist and public affairs commentator, Ezeokafor was released near the boundary between Enugu and Anambra States, close to Ebenebe, near Awka. He was subsequently picked up late at night (Friday) by a family member.

Ezeokafor, the father of popular social media personality Jowi Zaza, was abducted in the early hours of Tuesday while on his way to a prayer ground in Awka, Anambra State.

His release came after days in captivity, during which his abductors reportedly established contact with his family and initially demanded a ransom of N700 million before allegedly raising the demand to N1.5 billion.

Details surrounding his release, including whether any ransom was paid and where he was released, were not immediately available as of the time of filing this report.

The development is, however, a major relief to the family, friends and associates of the businessman, whose abduction had generated widespread concern across Anambra and beyond.

Ezeokafor is the founder of Jezco Oil and Lubricants, a business he established in 1980 and subsequently expanded into other areas of manufacturing and business.

Continue Reading

Trending